Thursday, October 20, 2011

Wk11 - Status update for Chris.

Chris requested a status update of our work, I provided the following:

===
As you know, my work kinda evolves over the course of a semester so it's far from what I had in mind when I started but the work now involves two components:
1) A fly-thru of a customised Mandelbox, presented on five monitors at head height, so that the person standing in the shape can experience the complexity inside one.
Current Status: Base renders are complete... Just rendering out the various final movies which will play on the screens.  Should be done by cob tomorrow.  The rest is logistics of getting 5 plinths and 5 imacs but that's in the process of being sorted through JP and hopefully James (Holland).  I want to do a test-run next week with JP's help.
2) The development of a physical interpretation of a Mandelbox, the one that is shown in the fly-thru... I currently have one physical representation in plastic and by next week I should have one in sandstone... both will be presented alongside the fly-thru sitting on a plinth.  Both are 5cm cubes.  
Current status: I have made the reflective base they'll sit on... made one metal stand and yet to make the other, should be done this weekend.
What's left to do: - Documentation to reflect complexity of bringing the Mandelbox into physical world. - Flesh out missing parts of my blog - Two supporting renders will be presented as well... one involving the HD fly-thru I did earlier in the semester and one involving the possible ambient occlusion render of a particle-based fly-thru.  The later will only be completed and shown if everything else has come together.
===